Top 10 Trends from the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2014)
Top 10 Trends from this years Consumer Electronics Show
- 4K Televisions – It seems as though every vendor at this years show was showcasing there latest offering in 4K resolution TVs. Many vendors had multiple models and styles to choose from.
- Curved Electronics – In addition to flat 4K tvs many tv manufacturers were displaying televisions with curved glass displays. This was limited to just televisions, several smart phone manufacturers were showing off models with curved glass displays.
- Bluetooth Speakers – While Bluetooth speakers are not necessarily new technology the number of companies producing Bluetooth speakers has jumped tremendously. We saw portable Bluetooth speakers, mini Bluetooth speakers, waterproof Bluetooth speakers, even LED light bulbs with Bluetooth speakers built in.
- 3D Printers –The number of companies offering 3D printers and 3D scanners was amazing this year. What was even more amazing was the number of entry level 3D printers priced at less then $1000. More amazing was the quality of the 3D prints being produced.
- Health Sensors – With a dedicated section for health sensors and health technologies this years show is a testament to how much technology has become a part of healthcare. One the best exhibits was the emergency room of the future.
- Fitness Electronics – What used to be a small field has grown into its own market segment with fitness sensors to measure heart rate, movement sleep patterns and more. In addition to the niche players, many major tech manufacturers have begun producing electronics for the fitness market.
- App Controlled Electronics – Everywhere we turned at the Consumer Electronics Show it seemed we were faced with companies producing electronics that could be controlled with a smart phone app. This included everything from smart outlets, switches, lights all the way to app controlled slow cookers.
- Action Cameras – What used to be a market dominated by Go Pro has become one of the fastest growing segments of the video market. We saw action cameras from Polaroid, Garmin, Sony and more. In addition to the major video camera manufacturers, many small companies are also entering into this market. Go Pro is still one of our favorite cameras for recording video action they had a large booth showcasing their action camera products.
- Instant Photo Printers – We often hear about the death of paper and printing, but I am hear to report that printing is alive and well at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show. In addition to amazing photo printers from companies like Canon, we also saw many companies producing instant photo printers including a very cool camera from Polaroid that has a built in printer that produces prints like the Polaroid instant cameras of the past.
- In Car Technology – While having technology in cars is not new for 2014, the number of major technology companies that have partnered with automotive manufacturers is. The automotive section of this years show looks like a glimpse of SEMA or the Detroit Auto show, with booths from Ford, GMC, Toyota, KIA, Audi, BMW and more. All of these companies were showcasing the latest in technology that they are building right into their current model year cars and trucks.